Friday, October 28, 2005

 

Unfamiliar Ceiling


"We beat the angel but I don't feel happy..."

It's so weird to see Evangelion on TV. Unedited no less. Nostalgia creeps over me, my chest aches with melancholy. But I've seen it so much I'm surprised I don't have the episode titles memorized yet. Hearing the dub again, Gendo's English voice as unforgiving-yet-menacing as his Japanese counterpart, brings me right back to the first time I saw the show. Freshman year of high school... Around the same time I played the equally angsty Final Fantasy VIII. Happy times indeed.


I told my Japanese pal, Hanae, to watch it tonight but first we went to get some dinner. "14 was not a good age to watch Eva," I tell her. To make the evening even more Japanese we had sushi. I am the biggest anachronism ever.

"Oh yeeaahhh... The main character's 14 isn't he?"

"Shinji? Yeah. Yeah, he is." And I continue to make sad faces at her inbetween bites of Spider Roll. This must've confused her a bit though I think my little performance was clear -- I was not a happy 14-year-old as Shinji is not a happy 14-year-old. But I did not come right out and say "OMG I WAS SO SAD." Somehow admitting that seems much sillier than groaning vaguely while dribbling soft-shell crab and soy sauce.


The early episodes of the show are fascinating. The pace is soooo slow and the camera takes its sweet time examining the pained expressions of the two main characters, Shinji and Misato. Especially intriguing: the show can go in any direction it wants at this point. Any direction at all. Who would've guessed its final, terrible and haunting destination? Watching it from the beginning now, again, it's even more painful to know where these characters (might or might not?!) end up.


"Good night, Shinji. Hang in there."

This marks the end of my 277th random Evangelion musing. AND NEXT WEEK: MORE FAN SERVICE!!!!!!!1111111111LOL




Comments:
hey it's Joe

I just watched the first 20 episodes over the course of the last few days

OMG SO GOOD
 
Why didn't you post about the only woman that can fill Misato's cups?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?