Monday, February 06, 2006

 

Beaverton


Turbulent weekend. Birthdays and things. I saw The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and The Squid and the Whale. Independent movies love AWFUL SEX. And awful people.

They were both good but Squid and the Whale has the grand distinction of being short. Melquiades is a journey movie but DAYMN it feels like it. When movies feel like they need to be overlong epics it's refreshing to see a movie so concise and punctuated. Both flicks featured heavily bearded, filthy lead actors yet both focused more on the younger co-stars and
their journies, coming-of-age, redemption, whatnot. Each story was, ultimately, about their sorry asses.

Squid/Whale also has the music from Risky Business - that trance-y synth theme that plays when Tom and Becky (big ups) do THE BUSINESS on the train. It was nice to hear that again albeit in slimier, somehow-seedier circumstances.

2nd Gig was on last night so I got a chance to show it to my pals. Even for a slow courtoom episode they were impressed! The music, the animation, the dense-as-hell dialogue... w00t! That was during Hanae's birthday party. I think I was the only American there but I was still (very) surprised no one saw the Alien movies or knew Kyle MacLachlan. =(

Important news: Snakes on a Plane is still en route. Important links:
- Sam Jackson confirming the title of the movie
- An unbelievable tee
- Read the customer review

Thanks to Jeff for the snakemazement.

That's oekaki down there. I drew those with a mouse. It was difficult at first but you can see my progression. That's Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, Batou from Ghost in the Shell, Poison Ivy from uh BATMAN, and the Major from GitS. Wander was my first, Major the last and my favorite.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?